Sew Along Day 3…or 7

All sorts of things came up between day 3 and day 7 including urgent work that required hours of my evening sewing. I was able to complete the tank on day 7 though!

Yay to completing SOMETHING!

I mostly like the way the tank turned out. I think the ruffles are a bit large though. They do, however, cover the straps of a nursing bra which I’ve found to be unusual in a tank! Because my torso is so short, I cut the tank length from 20 to 14 which is much better. I also did not add the pockets.

I really like the square top since scoop necks seem to be too revealing for me when I bend over.

I also added another topstitching detail because I didn’t think it looked as professional with only the one.

Lastly, I used a rolled hem foot to finish the bottom.

It takes practice to get it right, but it is so worth it! I used to spend a HUGE amount of time ironing the hem twice for the hem to be straight. I had the foot, but didn’t know what it was until I saw posts popping up all over the place a few weeks ago. Now, I’m hooked!

Amber’s shirt turned out great AND she paired it with a pair of jeans she scooped up from The Gap for only $2.37!!

 

Hey, Amber I LOVE those shoes too! I can’t believe they are crocs!

Emma got a bit frustrated with her pattern and hasn’t posted her final top yet. I’ll keep you posted!

 


sew along day 2

I made some good progress last night on the spring tank for the sew along, but it doesn’t really look like it. I ruffled, then added them to the tank straps, created the arm divots in the chest band and pleated the front and back.

I am really excited to finish tonight! I am very surprised at how long it is taking each night for some pretty basic techniques. I found the ruffle attachment instructions very confusing, and ruffling is always a pain for me. I seem to always break a thread during the process which creates all sorts of problems.

Amber’s tank is going to be absolutely adorable. Those pleats are perfectly placed to stop at the line. I think it is interesting that we both chose plaids.

Emma’s shirt is really looking great too! I love the gathers in the front! And, you can’t even tell she made a cutting mistake!


sew along

I’ve got a special sewing buddy. Her name is Amber. We met via Deborah’s sewing buddy meet-up thingy.

Turns out Amber is able to churn out a LOT more than I am, and she churns out a lot of clothing. We decided to do a sew along to get us back on track with our sewing goals. We both have some big stashes, so we are going to use what we have.

I’ve also invited Emma, a local sewer I know, to join us.

Amber and I both are sewing Rae‘s spring ruffle top together. Emma has chosen a different pattern.

Monday’s goal was to take measurements, select fabric and cut out the pieces.

I’m using an old Pottery Barn sheet I had that is super soft for the main part and a lilac coordinating print for the straps.

I had it in me to get the strap placement correct since I have a meeting tonight and will have limited time. I think it is going to look great despite the dark photograph.

Amber’s tank is going to be adorable too!

Check out Emma’s progress here!

Tonight is bodice assembly. Fingers crossed!